Sunday, August 9, 2009

Finally Here In Korea

After a long two and half hour drive to the Chicago airport, $100 in excess baggage fees, and a 13 hour flight, I am finally here!!!

My flight was at 1:00 AM on Sunday. My sister and her boyfriend Justin dropped me off at the airport around 10:00 on Saturday night. I checked in and was told I had to take a few things out of my luggage, of course. Luckily my sister was there to take back a few t-shirts I had to take out. When I checked in the gentleman at the desk was nice to ask if I wanted an isle or window seat. I requested an isle because nothing is worse than being on a 13 hour flight and having to hold your pee because the people next to you are in a peaceful slumber. Unfortunately the only isle seat left was next to a baby so I settled with a window seat.

Once we got in the air we had a choice of steak or a korean dish called bibimbap. Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE bibimbap. It is a korean dish that is made up of rice and vegetables and mixed with a hot pepper paste. Delish. I slept most of the flight and then read the my book by Chelsea Handler (sorry Christine and Laura... I know I said I would start Twilight, but I was biting at the bit to read Chelsea Handler's book and get a good laugh, but I promise, I WILL read it). Once I landed I was greeted by a little asian man that was waiting for me that had a sign up that read "Amanda Susan Basile". I felt like a celebrity. I wanted to take his picture so bad but he was in a hurry to get me out of there and didn't speak a lick of english. Needless to say it was a long silent one hour drive to my school.

That is where I am currently at now. It is going to be a loooong day. I just got off a 13 hour flight and now I am going to be thrown in the with the sharks on my very first day. I got here very early so we are just waiting on the other teachers to be coming around 9. After school today I am guessing they will be taking me to my apartment which I am very anxious to see.

So far the reality of all this hasn't hit me yet. I am still taking it all in. I think I am going to get off and explore the school a little bit now. I'll keep you all posted!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you made it okay! Even though I think you should really read Twilight... I can't blame you for choosing Chelsea Handler over it. I don't think anything or anyone else would have made a 13 hour flight the slightest bit enjoyable as she would!

    But a word of advice, if you're going to be teaching these little nuggets English, you might want to be proof reading your own blogs!!

    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda, I'm sure you will have plenty of time to read the other book :) Get some rest, sleep, figure out the new job and then see the sights. Enjoy it while you can.

    Love ya
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    Glad you made it there safely! Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures!

    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete