Thursday, August 6, 2009

Packing for the Year

So I finally got word that I am officially leaving Sunday morning and will be arriving in Korea Monday morning! Eeek! Every now and then I have those “WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?!?!?!?!” moments but I manage to pass through them. One of my major concerns right now is how I am going to magically cram one year worth of all my belongings into two suitcases and try to make them under 50 pounds. I have already come to the conclusion that no matter what, I WILL pay the excess baggage fee. To my friends and family who know me too well, one of the first questions they asked was “How are YOU, out of ALL people, going to pack for this??” Now if you know me well, you know that I am NOT a light packer. I just so happen to be one of those people who like to pack a few extra things… just in case. I am still waiting the day I am proven right when my friends and I are stranded on a desert island and the extra curling iron and massive amount of jewelry I decided to pack are used as survival tools on the island. Here is just a glimpse of my attempt to pack my life into two (what seem to be) SMALL suitcases. Try not to laugh…

Trust me, everything I have in there is a NECESSITY! After a test trial of trying to see if I could close both suitcases, I was forced to leave of some of my favorite things behind: my steamer which would have made each of my shirts look fresh and neat, my robe which I would probably walk around in all day if I could, my snuggy (the best invention ever), and a new Brookstone nap blanket my friend gave to me. Those are to just name a few, trust me…there were plenty of other sacrifices. It probably doesn’t help that I had to pack a year worth of deodorant since apparently Asians don’t sweat very much which I unfortunately never got that gene and I also had to pack a large amount of my shoes because I DID get the big foot gene which Korea doesn’t cater much to.
Tomorrow I will be driving back to Chicago to pick up my stamped visa and then I will officially be ready for Korea. I thought this time would never come, but now that it is happening, it is all happening so fast. The only thing I will have left to do is say my goodbyes.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, you have only left the house 2 hours ago and I already miss you!!! I really hope you enjoy your new job and I can't wait for you to come back. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete