Sunday, September 27, 2009

Update in September

Sorry it has taken me so long to write in my blog recently. Things have been kind of hectic around here and I have found myself to be very exhausted throughout the week.

School has been ok. I find myself unmotivated at times to teach because they kids can take so much out of you. There has been a lot of stress to just try to get the kids to listen at times. I am just sick of yelling all the time basically. As cute as the kids are, I wish I was more informed on the ages because I would have chosen an older age group to teach. Two weeks ago, I got to go on my first field trip with the kids to a botanical garden. The garden was gorgeous and the kids loved it. Their excitement over a flower, or a dragonfly, or even a little frog makes it adorable to watch them run around.

The past weekend, my co-worker, Karla and her co-korean teacher, Rebecca went clothes shopping. I loved all the different Korean fashions even though some are odd. Unfortunately, since everyone is so petite here I couldn’t find a lot in my size, but the experience was fun! Rebecca had invited us to dinner because her mother wanted to meet us Americans. Her mother loves when Rebecca brings home English speakers because she enjoys hearing Rebecca speak English to them. Dinner was amazing, her mom had prepared season meat and had a little miniature stove on the table for us to cook the meat and talk. She spoke a little English and was very sweet.

This weekend I got invited by one of the guys I work with to a touch rugby tournament they were playing in. I had never watched touch rugby before and knew nothing about it. The rugby tournament was held at the Korean Military Academy and was quite the event! There were tons of teams that had come from all over Korea as well as teams that flew in from China and Japan. We watched the boys play and I realized I really liked watching the sport! It is kind of like soccer… but playing with your hands with a difference in a few rules. Our boys didn’t end up winning the tournament but were in the semi finals! They served free wine all day and there was a buffet later on that had burgers and other bbq food! It wasn’t amazing tasting, BUT it was good to have some traditional American food still. After the game, there was an after party held in Itaewon at a place called The Bungalow. The place was really nice and had tables and couches set up on these sandy areas. Great atmosphere. We had a good time and ended up having to take a 40,000 won taxi ride home because we were too late for the subways. Eek!

Today co-worker, Karla and I went to Insadong. I was a little skeptical at first because she told me that it is this really fun place that sells traditional Korean things like papers, and souvenirs, pillows, scarves, jewelry etc. My experience with places like these has usually been a result of Koreans just trying to sell junk. Fortunately, this wasn’t the case! There is a long street that basically sells nice things that are mostly all handmade. It was such a cute little area. We stopped in at a tea house where we both got a cup of tea and shared some homemade Korean ice cream which was delicious!

I ended up buying a scarf. There were also stands that were set up to make your own crafts. You can paint mugs, plates, bags, make beads and jewelry, and even your own light lantern! We ended up making our own light lantern which I was really excited about! I loved this little shopping area and plan to go back for some gifts possibly! :-)

Next week will be a short week since we do not have to work on Friday due to the Korean holiday, Chuseok. Chuseok is the Korean Thanksgiving here and I guess one of the busiest times for traveling. Next week we will be doing things in class that are related to Chuseok which should be fun and interesting! Next weekend I will be visiting my Korean family in Seoul to celebrate the holiday with them. I am interested to see how they celebrate their own thanksgiving. All I know is there won’t be turkey or stuffing which is a sad, sad, sad thing for me. Haha

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, don't worry about the turkey. Christine and I will make sure we eat plenty for you on our Thanksgiving. We'll hook up the video phone and invite you to watch :). Chuseok is a big holiday for Koreans. If I remember right they used to pretty much close everything down for that day. I never had the chance to go to a traditional Chuseok meal so enjoy the experience.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww arts & crafts! my fav!!!!
    Have fun at Chuseok!! Let me know how it goes & what dessert you end up making.
    Enjoy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete